A big thank you to all of you who made my birthday so special these past few days, turning 45 was hard for some reason, but I’m looking foward to a year of possibilities and happiness.
Last week I made this most awesome white bean chili. I have never made chili with dry beans or completely from scratch so this was a new experience for me. Unfortunately the chili was eaten before I remembered to take a photo.
- 1 lb dry great northern beans, rinsed and picked over
- 4 C veggie broth
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 2 t ground cumin
- 1 1/2 t dried oregano
- 1 t dried ground coriander
- 1/5 t ground nutmeg
- 1 4-oz can chopped green chilies
- 1 T umi plum vinegar
- 1/2 T liquid amino
- 1 T nutritional yeast
- place beans in soup kettle or Dutch oven. Add enough water to cover beans by two inches. Bring to a boil. Let boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 1 hour. Drain and rinse. Discard liquid.
- place beans in a slow cooker. Add the veggie broth, onions, garlic, and seasonings. Cover and cook on low heat for 7 hours or until beans are not quite tender. Add the chilies and cook for another hour until beans are tender.
- Add vinegar, amino and nutritional yeast to taste.
YUM!!!!!! Also good in a tortilla!