As I go thru the recipes my mother had included in her memiors, I came across the recipe for Toffee Bars which she makes for High Holiday of Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year. I look foward to them every year. This recipe originated from my Aunt Doris who passed away this past December 2011. She used to make them too as part of our family Thanksgiving dinner.
I changed the recipe to make it vegan friendly so first I will include my mother’s recipe and then I will include my recipe along with a photo.
Aunt Doris’s Famous Toffee Bars
Grease a 9×12 pan.
Cream the following:
- 1 cube margarine
- 1 cube butter
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 C unsifted flour
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. It will be very thin
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30
- Remove from pan immediately cover with 4 Hershey bars broken into small pieces. The Hershey bars will melt right away. Spread to cover evenly.
- Sprinkle with one Cup chopped walnuts and cut into large (or small) squares while still warm.
- Take out of pan and put into cupcake liners to serve.
Healthier Toffee Bars
Put parchment paper in a 9×12 pan.
Cream the following ingredients (I just put them all in my Vitamix)
- 2 T Earth Balance spread
- 2/3 C coconut sugar
Add (to the Vitamix)
- 1 Flax Egg (1T Flax Seed + 3T Warm Water – from Oh She Glows)
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 C unsifted Oat Flour
Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Make sure it’s very thin. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from pan and immediately cover with 1 dark chocolate bar (I used Chocolove Chocolate Bar 65% cocoa). I spread that over the toffee and then sprinkled 1 C chopped walnuts. Cut the squares and placed into the cupcake liners. I refrigerated for 30 min before serving.
Enjoy!!! Next up Cabbage Borscht!